“The Best is Yet to Be”
John 16:5-24 How can it be better that Jesus goes away?
It is difficult when those we love go away. _________________________________________
Verse 5 would lead us to believe that Jesus has a memory problem: “none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going’.” Peter asked. Thomas asked. But that was some time ago. ________
This situation is what seems to be addressed in verse 6, “sorrow has filled your heart”. They are feeling loss and it is getting in the way of them being able to receive the intended blessing, which Jesus addresses in verse 7: “It is to your advantage that I go away”.
He has already taught them about the Paraklete (Helper) but this is His final teaching on the work of the Holy Spirit. You might remember that Jesus said, “I am at work and my Father too is always working.” In this regard we understand that the Helper will be at work in our lives. He describes the various aspects of the work of the Holy Spirit in the world:
1. Convict the world of sin – ____________________________________________________
2. of righteousness – the Greek term used here is ‘dikaiosyne’, and it contains an element referring to justice_____________________________________________________________
3. of judgment – the payment for sin was Jesus death; the victory over sin was His resurrection. ____________________________________________________________________________ Jesus opponents will receive the same fate as their ‘father”. John 8:44, “You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him.”
We must remember that the chief role of the Holy Spirit is to glorify Jesus. He does that in the world through these three aspects.
In the church the Holy Spirit is the power that produces kingdom fruit. In verse 13 the Lord teaches again on this work taking place in us:
1. He will guide you into all truth – ______________________________________________
2. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine – _____________________________
More questions from the disciples but they are asking them of each other (vs. 17). Verses 23 and 24 are clear cut instructions that we need to ask Him and He will give us answers. This is why we pray in Jesus name because He sets at the right hand of the Father interceding on our behalf. _____________________________________________________________________
F. Verses 20 – 22 describe the emotional course that the disciples will go through which will begin in just a few hours from when Jesus speaks. Circumstances that they don’t understand will cause them to weep and lament. But it will be for a short time. When they understand and see God’s plan then they will have joy. It is the same for us.
STAY IN THE LOOP
GET THE LATEST NEWS, EVENTS, AND SERMONS DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX