“Reactions to Truth”
Luke 4:14-44 Jesus ministry begins.
God’s truth has a tendency to make people uncomfortable and Jesus words divided His audience then, just as His message does today. Jesus didn’t tickle ears.
It is about 40 miles between the Nazareth and Capernaum and modern travelers often taken the pathway called the “Jesus Trail”. For the most ambitious hiker it’s a 2 day trip, but for the history buff, and especially the one with an eye towards the Gospel accounts it can take many days as significant sights are located on the trail ___________________________________.
The 1st sermon – there are some features of this message that we need to observe.
1. “In the power of the Holy Spirit” – (vs. 14) ______________________________________
2. His text is from Isaiah 61:1&2a. This is Jesus mission statement, extracted from the heart of Isaiah’s Messianic prophetic vision. _______________________________________________
3. Great subtlety here in the text as Jesus says, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” ___________________________________________________________________________________
4. “So all bore witness to Him, and marveled at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, “Is this not Joseph’s son?” _________________________________________ After Jesus amplifies His message they will escort Him out of town. Verses 28 & 29 reveal that the congregation turned into a mob and they desired to throw Jesus off of a cliff.
4. We know that Jesus is living out the verse, “A prophet is rejected in His own city.” But this crowd specifically reacts to Jesus teaching concerning Elijah and Elisha_______________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________ When you are afflicted you know you need God.
Luke transitions immediately to the ministry in Capernaum. Jesus is encountering the afflicted and He begins His ministry of healing. The 1st battle is always a spiritual battle. “Then He went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and was teaching them on the Sabbaths. And they were astonished at His teaching, for His word was with authority. Now in the synagogue there was a man who had a spirit of an unclean demon. And he cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Let us alone! What have we to do with You, Jesus of Nazareth? Did You come to destroy us? I know who You are—the Holy One of God!” Paul teaches us, “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:12 __________________________________________________
Next we see Jesus heal Peter’s mother-in-law. She has a fever but the Lord healed her flesh just like He healed the 1st man’s spirit. In this Jesus shows He has authority over all life.
Then, into the night, people keep coming for healing. Luke relates that the physical and spiritual needs of the people were dealt with. ________________________________________________________
HOLY COMMUNION - What God begins He will finish.
STAY IN THE LOOP
GET THE LATEST NEWS, EVENTS, AND SERMONS DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX